Saturday, April 25, 2009

Golden Curry Oatmeal


Like tofu, rice and plain yogurt, I am convinced that oatmeal is one of those foods that is like a blank canvas.  And contrary to the notion that oatmeal can only be eaten sweet, this traditional breakfast can easily be turned into a savory dinner.  And for vegetarians in Buenos Aires, especially those trying to eat for cheap, oatmeal is an excellent and filling option.  

Although my morning oats always include a banana, salt and cinnamon, curry, a common Indian spice with a tumeric base can easily be a substitute.  The book Mistress of Spices by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni includes a chapter discussing the yellow root:

"Each spice has a special day to it. For turmeric it is Sunday, when light drips fat and butter-colored into the bins to be soaked up glowing, when you pray to the nine planets for love and luck." 

Curry--or at least the tumeric base--is said to have health benefits as well. So, with some raisens and almonds, my Golden Curry Oatmeal makes for a very nutritious meal.

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup dry old-fashioned oatmeal
5-10 almonds (chopped)
1-2 tbsp raisins
pinch of salt
teaspoon of sweet curry
honey to drizzle on top

Boil water in a small saucepan 
Add dry oats
Stir occasionally and decrease the heat
Add salt and curry
Add raisins and almonds
Keep stirring until the mix becomes thick
Remove heat and stir
Put the golden oat mix in a bowl
Drizzle honey on the top

This should only take 5-10 minutes to make.

To avoid the inevitable boredom of a soy milanesa,  which is often suggested to me as one of my Buenos Aires vegetarian options, Golden Curry Oatmeal is cheap, healthy and doesn't taste like a shoebox.

4 comments:

SpreeO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ksfinley said...

I love it!! The Pocahontas song is such a nice touch. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to try this option tonight for dinner :)

Caity said...

Can you believe I have no curry powder? But as soon as I get some I'm going to try this while listening to Pocahontas.

ps. Nice shout out to the Mistress of Spices. Did you actually take the book with you or do you just have it memorized?

Melanie said...

Another very good option with rice would be rice together with milk. It is very common in Argentina, they eat it really sweet and it is healthy! Last year I got an apartment for rent in buenos aires and I decided I wanted to eat some good breakfast with food tht was not fattening. I went to the so called "dietética" and it was great!
Mel